Plantains! Who knew they were so, um, UNBELIEVABLE?? Traveling through Nicaragua over a decade ago as a (then) vegetarian, ALL I ate were tostones con queso , unless you count margaritas as food. I mean, they’re full of citrus. During a thirty day AIP elimination, I found myself craving carbs and realized – OMG – you can do SO MUCH with plantains.
This recipe is SO BASIC. I topped mine with a brushing of BBQ sauce, bacon, and guacamole. You could also use these as a base for a sweet treat.
- Green plantain
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Juice of 1 lime
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Blend everything in a high-speed blender or food processor until totally smooth.
- Pour onto your baking tray and use a rubber spatula to even out and shape into a rectangle.
- Bake until just barely brown at the edges, took about 17-18 minutes in my oven but keep an eye on it!
- Cook on a wire rack while you prep your toppings.
- Also works great as a soft taco shell!