The afternoon energy crash is often where things go sideways with our daily nutrition goals to eat mindfully all day long. We crash, reach for carbs and caffeine, then crash again when our energy inevitably falls after consuming those empty calories.
Get ahead of the crash:
Ideally, you want to make sure you’re not skipping lunch, and that your lunch included enough healthy fat and protein to keep you satiated till dinner. Ample food, along with good hydration, and a little fresh-air break should keep you rocking straight through to devening. If your lunch was light or rushed, supplement with a snack that includes fat and protein like this one.
In your blender:
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 espresso shot or a small strong coffee, cooled
- 5 cubes of ice
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 heaping tablespoon of cocoa
- 1 handful of dark leafy greens
- Optional spoon of nut butter of choice
- Optional scoop of protein powder
- Enough water to blend