This fall, we’re focusing on eating what’s fresh, local, and WIILD, and this week I’m bringing you this simple pizza or flatbread made with a few of the ingredients that come top of mind for me when I think of Autumn in Ontario. Vegan options below.
Make it happen:
Use any base you like. Personally, I use Namaste Brand Gluten Free Pizza Crust, because I haven’t found a single recipe from scratch that tastes better than this!
- 2 fresh apples, cored and sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup maple syrup, plus more for drizzling
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1/4 cup stilton cheese (omit for vegan)
- 3-4 slices of prosciutto (obviously omit for vegan!)
- 1-2 cups of chopped arugula
- 1/2 cup of toasted and chopped pecans
- Coarse sea salt to taste
Preheat the oven to 375:
- In a large frying pan: Add olive oil to pan over medium heat. Add your garlic and apples, and gently sauté until your garlic is just toasty brown.
- Drizzle in your maple syrup and cook over low heat for about a minute or two.
- Brush your prepared pizza, flatbread, or naan crust with olive oil, and apply some course sea salt.
- Spread your apple mixture on your crust along with your meat and cheese. Bake until just warmed and she cheese and apple edges are just browning, about 8-12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and top with chopped arugula and a drizzle of olive oil and extra maple if desired.